Some of the hardest things to do in organising activities and teams is to get together, agree on an objective, and communicate with all the team members.
To a large part just getting together is a real issue. A face to face meeting is no question the best way to do some things cooperatively. But it als becomes an impediment when our busy timetables, other obligations and just some time for ourselves gets in the way. This shouldnt be.
Our Groups function takes care of that, and a whole lot more. Here are some of the things our Groups function can do for you and your team. Groups:
- are a place where you can share your thoughts, issues, progress, concerns and wins to all your team
- are a collaboration area, where you can get organised
- have a joint document development facility. Work on one or many documents covering whatever issues you like
- have a forum (private or public, as is the Group) to discuss, explore, investigate or slice up tasks or issues
- become a record centre for decisions, discussions, agreements, and actions
Groups are a means of communication
- post your thoughts, questions or answers on the group update main page;
- open a forum topic to explore an issue or resolve a problem,
- message another group member (you dont need their email), or
- if your the group administrator email all group members at one time
- choose to get an email update daily, or weekly, or not at all
- can have Group specific Events, so you all know about the deadline or next face to face meeting, teleconference, or skype call
Groups can be:
- Private with comments, documents and events only seen by group members
- Public, a place of debate seeking all opinions
- a method of achieving consensus (or finding the critical areas of difference)
- a gathering place for people separated geographically
- If you leave the Group as a Public Group any registered site member can join and participate
- a Private Groups purpose (and existence) can bee seen by site members, and they can request to join. Group administrators can accept or reject such requests
- or you can create a Hidden Group, only seeable by Group Members (and the site Administrator, of course 🙂
So if you look at nothing else on this site, look at the groups funtion. If you take a little while to explore it, it will save you a mountain of time and effort, and reward you with better outcomes and a little time to yourself.